[License-discuss] Ethical open source licensing - Dual Licensing for Justice

Gil Yehuda gyehuda at verizonmedia.com
Wed Feb 26 17:17:05 UTC 2020

We operate in the realm of words, and words matter, words help clarify.

Analogy: Food labels can indicate a product to be Organic, Free Trade,
Gluten-free, Kosher, Poisonous, etc. Each of these labels indicate
something different. No one insists that in order to be considered Free
Trade that a product must also be Organic. That erodes meaning and confuses
the marketplace. A product might be traded fairly and not get the
certification. A product might be gluten-free and poisonous. Don't consume
that product, even if you are gluten intolerant. It's not good for you.

Licenses that have been approved by the OSI as having complied with OSD are
Open Source. We all get that. Separately from OSI a group of people created
a separate concept called Ethical Source and they created a separate
definition https://ethicalsource.dev/definition/ which is also separate
from the OSD. Thankfully they make it very clear that no one should confuse
the ESD with the OSD. They obviously mean different things.

Personally I'm confused about the details of the ESD, but that's OK, if I
wanted to, I'd join the working group and learn more about it. I would not
conflate that work with OSI. In fact, reading the ESD I see it to conflict
with OSI much the way you could not have organic grass-fed pork that was
also kosher.

My recommendation: if ESD is interesting to you, work on it. If OSD is
interesting, work on it. If someone can create a license that complies with
both, more power to you. But unless one of those definitions changes, I
don't think that's going to happen. IMO these should be treated as separate
endeavors with separate goals.

Gil Yehuda: I help with external technology engagement

>From the Open Source Program Office
<https://developer.yahoo.com/opensource/docs/> at Yahoo --> Oath - ->
Verizon Media

My work calendar is open for colleagues to see. yo/open-calendars