[License-discuss] The political / technical dichotomy

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Thu Mar 21 04:12:26 UTC 2019

To be clear, my concern about a summarization process is less "honesty",
and more simply basic competence :) If anything, I think centralizing most
documentation in 1-2 places rather than throughout a thread would make it
much easier to sniff out bad faith - it'd be much more apparent in the
summary than in the knife-fighting of many argumentative threads. (And that
applies to _any_ bad faith by any party, not just the submitter, like
aggressive/misleading claims to authority, misleading or irrelevant claims
about the history/intent of past licenses/documents, etc.)

But that assumes the summary gets written at all, with even the most basic
grasp of the issues at play. In either case (competence or bad faith) a
motivated board member or other volunteer could perhaps be very helpful
there, if they could be found.