[License-discuss] The political / technical dichotomy

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 21:18:28 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 12:33 PM Richard Fontana <
richard.fontana at opensource.org> wrote:

> I have a different concern that goes to the political nature of
> license proposals. If the submitter is responsible for maintaining the
> PEP document, how can bias be avoided or minimized in the content of
> the document? Even if one relies on a non-submitter volunteer somehow,
> in many cases third-party observers are far from neutral.

This appears as a reply to me, so I'll respond.

It was someone else that suggested the submitter could be responsible for
maintaining the document. Nevertheless, I think this model can work for the
following reason (and does for Python).

If the submitter is not doing a good job of maintaining the PEP (e.g. not
capturing people's arguments correctly, not writing it well, etc), then
there is a simple answer. OSI can reject it for those reasons. Thus, the
submitter has an incentive to be professional and unbiased.

Even if the submitter is writing the text, there is one caveat to this
though. There should still probably be an administrative gatekeeper of some
sort so that the documents are located in one place, and not retroactively
changed. And a revision history with diffs would also help a lot.

Python handles this by putting all PEP's in a Git repository that can only
be pushed by a Python core developer (someone with commit privileges). This
helps with a few things. People can monitor the changes so they don't have
to reread the whole thing each time it is revised. Also, once a decision is
made on it, there wouldn't be a risk of the author revising the history,
since the official repo is gated to people with access.

(Note: there should probably be a different acronym if OSI were to adopt
this model. LRR -- License Review Request?)

--Chris