[License-discuss] The pro se license constructor

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 22:33:46 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:30 AM VanL <van.lindberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> The second part is an ongoing record of comments made and responses.
> Usually, accepted suggestions are incorporated into the proposal; rejected
> suggestions are documented with a rationale. That is what is happening with
> the CAL. Accepted suggestions are being incorporated into the live
> document. Rejected suggestions are declined with a rationale.

Thanks for your summary of the PEP format, as well as some of the process.

One small clarification though (speaking as a Python developer, which you
may be, too): I wouldn’t say it does or needs to document *every* comment
(as that would be too lengthy and cumbersome). Rather, if a number of
comments are making the same point, it is the job of the PEP author to
distill that into a more general point of objection. In this way the PEP is
concise without losing essential info. Also, if a suggestion is
incorporated, I don’t think the original comment needs to be preserved as
the content would already be reflected in the main portion of the document
itself.

And yes, to echo others’ comments, the PEP document doesn’t help so much
with the discussion medium itself like email or online forums. Rather, its
benefits are more for things like — helping people get up to speed, serving
as a snapshot of the current state of discussion, avoiding rehashing
previous arguments, ensuring that people’s objections are “heard” and
documented for posterity, and serving as a useful historical record of the
organization’s past decisions.

—Chris