[License-discuss] The pro se license constructor

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 16:29:08 UTC 2019

Regarding PEPs, the process relative to the CAL is not too far off from a
PEP-like process. Each PEP has one or more authors and champions - in this
case me. The PEP itself is essentially a long-form summary of the proposal,
subsequent discussion and decisions, and

Ordinarily, there are three main parts of a PEP. First is a summary and
rationale for the change (in this case, the new license), with a discussion
of particular points of interest. In the case of the CAL, the blog post I
put up to begin the discussion here is very similar to what I expect would
be needed in a license proposal:

- Abstract ("The CAL is a new strong "network" copyleft license especially
appropriate for distributed systems")
- Rationale (Why a new license?
<https://www.processmechanics.com/2019/03/15/the-cryptographic-autonomy-license/#whyanewlicense>)

- Overview of Proposal (Key Principles
<https://www.processmechanics.com/2019/03/15/the-cryptographic-autonomy-license/#keyprinciples>,
Breaking Down the CAL
<https://www.processmechanics.com/2019/03/15/the-cryptographic-autonomy-license/#breakingdownthecal>)

- Substantive Discussion of Key Points (What is the Work
<https://www.processmechanics.com/2019/03/15/the-cryptographic-autonomy-license/#whatisthework>,
Public Performance
<https://www.processmechanics.com/2019/03/15/the-cryptographic-autonomy-license/#copyleftandthepublicperformanceofsoftware>,
Maintaining User Autonomy
<https://www.processmechanics.com/2019/03/15/the-cryptographic-autonomy-license/#maintaininguserautonomy>
)
- Important Implementation Details (Other Concepts and Provisions
<https://www.processmechanics.com/2019/03/15/the-cryptographic-autonomy-license/#otherconceptsandprovisions>
)
- Disclaimers (Section regarding Holo and Holochain)

The second part is an ongoing record of comments made and responses.
Usually, accepted suggestions are incorporated into the proposal; rejected
suggestions are documented with a rationale. That is what is happening with
the CAL. Accepted suggestions are being incorporated into the live
document. Rejected suggestions are declined with a rationale.

Relative to the CAL, part of that is on this list, and part of it is
viewable via the Google Doc. In particular, I am replying to suggestions
that are not adopted, rather than "resolving" them. This is so that the
question and response stay visible for other viewers.

The third is a process marker. For the CAL, it is "in discussion" (on L-D),
after which it would go to "in review" (on L-R), and finally accepted or
rejected (by the OSI board).

Thanks,
Van