[License-discuss] Does the LinShare "attribution" notice violate OSD?

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Mon Sep 19 19:59:03 UTC 2022

I agree with Simon that it prohibits forking. It is also my position
that trademarks are not "Legal Notices" as that term is used in the AGPL
and I can go into that in more detail if anyone is interested. (And it's
in my chapter in Amanda's upcoming book ...) For that reason it may not
be permitted by the AGPL.

As to the OSD, I would say OSD 3, although that is an interesting
provision (and something I think about occasionally). OSD says "The
license must allow modifications and derived works ..." But it doesn't
say ALL modifications. If it is construed as meaning ALL modifications,
that interpretation gets hard to reconcile with elements typically
accepted as protected from modification, such as the copyright notice
and a disclaimer of warranty by the original authors.

But this is an easy one for me to say does not comply with the common
understanding of the OSD.

Pam (in my personal capacity)

Pamela S. Chestek
Chestek Legal