[License-discuss] Does the LinShare "attribution" notice violate OSD?

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Mon Sep 19 21:18:42 UTC 2022

Pamela Chestek dixit:

> (and something I think about occasionally). OSD says "The license must allow
> modifications and derived works ..." But it doesn't say ALL modifications. If
> it is construed as meaning ALL modifications, that interpretation gets hard to
> reconcile with elements typically accepted as protected from modification, such
> as the copyright notice and a disclaimer of warranty by the original authors.

Does it? The licence allows all modifications, those are merely
required to be retained by law (not the licence). It’s even common
for people to merge identical licences by listing all authors and
their years together, and I consider this to be equivalent to the
initial separate notices from the individual files.

So, yes, the licence must allow ALL modifications.

Otherwise, we arrive at the GFDL’s invariant sections.

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt