Viewable Source License

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 25 23:31:55 UTC 2001

on Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 03:49:18PM +0100, Tom Schouteden (tom.schouteden at linugen.com) wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm aware that the following topic may not entirely classify as an
> Open Source license but I would like to get some advise.
>
> We are a small Open Source company that provide development,
> consulting, etc.  We are currently talking with a customer about
> developing an application for them.  His company has limited funds and
> they believe that the development fee is too high.  We suggested to
> shift our revenue from the development to user licensing.  That way
> his investment is minimal but he has to pay us for every copy he
> sells.  We do however want him to grant the right to modify the source
> for personal use if he wishes too.  Of course he can not redistribute
> the application in any form, since we have to generate our revenue
> from user licensing.
>
> Is there any applicable Open Source license - not necessarily OSI
> certified - that we can use to achieve this?

Not that I see.

As you've outlined the sitation, you're not going to satisfy terms 1 or
3, and possibly 6 and 7, of the OSD.  Study these terms and understand
their implications for your work.

> Or are we forced to close down the source and use a M$-alike license?

There is a wide range of licensing options available, "Microsoft" and
"OSD" are not the only two points on the spectrum, nor are they properly
points.

IANAL, TINLA, YADA.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/