GPL under MacOS and NewtonOS

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Nov 11 18:21:30 UTC 2001

Paul Guyot scripsit:

> It's about this paragraph of section 3:
>
> >The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
> >making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source
> >code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
> >associated interface definition files, plus the scripets used to
> >control compilation and installation of the executable. However, as
> >a special exception, the source code distributed need not include
> >anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
> >form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
> >operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
> >itself accompanies the executable.

I think the deal here is that things normally distributed with
*the compiler* are no problem, even if the compiler isn't normally
distributed with the OS.  After all, Solaris is distributed without
a compiler, and nobody doubts that you can compile GNU utilities
with the (non-free) cc.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan at ccil.org
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,