GPL under MacOS and NewtonOS

Paul Guyot pguyot at kallisys.net
Mon Nov 12 11:24:51 UTC 2001

>I think the deal here is that things normally distributed with
>*the compiler* are no problem, even if the compiler isn't normally
>distributed with the OS.  After all, Solaris is distributed without
>a compiler, and nobody doubts that you can compile GNU utilities
>with the (non-free) cc.

As I understand it, you can compile whatever you like under GPL with
whatever tool.

However, it's not because nobody doubts about something that it's
true. At least, let me doubt that GPL can be used with
PowerPlant-based software.

Anyway, the problem here seems to be what is a major component of the
operating system. Solaris's cc is published by Sun, so the case is
less a problem (although I admit it's one) than Metrowerks PowerPlant.

Paul
--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/