[PublicPolicy] Government Open Source Advocates

Brent Turner turnerbrentm at gmail.com
Tue May 26 15:18:30 UTC 2020

Hello Shimon :

My name is Brent Turner and I am the communications director /secretary for
California Association of Voting Officials.

We have been working for many years ( initially demonstrating prototypes is
2004)  to certify and deploy GPL open source election systems for public
elections in the USA .We have managed to deploy partial systems in New
Hampshire and obtain partial certifications another states.

www.navo-us.org

We have obtained interesting perspective regarding the procurement process
regarding election systems. It appears the government officials have been
"locked in "to repetitive  purchasing of proprietary terminally flawed
voting systems. We initiated the Los Angeles and San Francisco projects for
open source voting but both projects have been absorbed by Microsoft and
other proprietary foes " bobbing in their wake" . We also see Microsoft
backed  lobbyist interference with state and federal legislators

It would be great to confer and understand what steps your country is
taking toward election security, if any..

Best regards,

Brent