[PublicPolicy] Government Open Source Advocates

Patrick Masson masson at opensource.org
Tue May 26 14:17:56 UTC 2020

Hello Shimon,
Thank you for starting off the discussions. In just one day, the list
has grown by 90+ members. Looks like there is quite a bit of interest
around open source in government, I just hope we here at the OSI can
help facilitate the type of dialog we're all looking for. :-)
Maybe we can start by introducing ourselves (if you are comfortable,
list-lurkers are of course welcome as well).
I'll start...
I'm currently the General Manager here at the OSI with responsibilities
one might expect in such a role. Of more interest to this group is
probably my 20 year background in government, specifically public
education. Before joining the OSI I worked in the University of
Massachusetts' Office of the President as CTO. Prior to that I served
as CIO in the State University of New York and Director of the UCLA
Media Lab. I am also a former member of my local School Board. So,
considering my background, this group is of particular interest to me
and I am excited to see it emerge. Thanks to Shimon for the push to
help get it going.
I also want to introduce Deb Bryant (
https://opensource.org/docs/board-annotated#DebBryant), an OSI Board
Director, who actually started the Public Policy working group (and
this list) and has tremendous experience and success in open source
related work in government. I'm hoping she will also introduce herself
here (a little public pressure) to help keep the ball rolling.
The OSi is committed to helping government realize the benefits of open
source, and I hope this list can be a useful tool for all of you in
gaining adoption and fostering participation.
Thank you for your interest and contributions,Patrick

On Tue, 2020-05-26 at 08:40 +0000, Shimon Shore wrote:
> Hello to all,
>

> My name is Shimon Shore and I work in the Israel Ministry of Science
> and Technology.
>

> I am involved in encouraging Open Source use and contributions by the
> Israeli Government. I help to run a government wide Open Source forum
> with representatives
>  from most government ministries and authorities.
>
> I am reaching out to you because I thought it would be good for us to
> learn from other similar governmental communities and to explore
> possible cooperation.
>

> I think that having a forum where we can communicate. Share knowledge
> and experience as it relates specifically to Open Source and
> government would be
>  very useful.
>
> If this interests you please speak up!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Shimon Shore
>

> Shimon Shore
> Chief Architect, Open Source Program
>
> Israel
> Ministry of Science and Technology
> Israel Ministry of Culture and Sport
>

> שמעון שור
>
> ארכיטקט ראשי, מיזם קוד פתוח
>
> משרד המדע והטכנולוגיה
>
> משרד התרבות והספורט
>

> 074-7009550
> 054-9042380
> shimons at most.gov.il

  ||  |   | || |  ||  ||  | || |  |||  |  |||

Patrick Masson
General Manager & Director, Open Source Initiative
855 El Camino Real, Ste 13A, #270
Palo Alto, CA 94301
United States
Office: (415) 857-5398