[License-discuss] Open Source license question

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at amazon.com
Sun Apr 7 22:33:31 UTC 2024

You can call your project “open source” as long as you are clear about the paid portion.

Just to avoid all sorts of headaches for your downstream, users, and public position, keep the open source core portion in one git repo, and then keep the paid add-on in a *different* git repo, with build time or install time instructions are how to combine them.  Keeping the non-open-source portion in a subdirectory or something like that causes headaches and often needs special handling by your users.

For example, if your open source core and paid extension were in the same repo, we at Amazon would not be able to load your project into our internal caches for use across the company, and it would need a tech and legal review for every install.   Which is slow, and would make it much less likely to get used, and thus much less likely to get community participation and bugfix contributions from Amazon developers.

But, if your project was cleanly separated into separate repos, we could load the open source repo into our caches, it would be more likely to be used, AND once its more likely to be used, it would be more likely that a team or some would decide they also wanted to pay for the telemetry service.

(I make no guaratees that Amazon will purchase your paid extention, I’ve not even looked at your project).

But anyway, you are fine what you are doing, and you can call it “open source” or “open source with paid extentions” you want to be more precise.

..m

--
Mark Atwood atwoodm at amazon.com<mailto:atwoodm at amazon.com>
Principal Engineer, Open Source Program Office, Amazon.com