[License-discuss] OSI definition

Antoine Thomas antoine.thomas at prestashop.com
Mon Feb 1 10:17:50 UTC 2021

I would like to illustrate with a simplified example.

Let's say I am building special cars for a niche market in small quantities
(e.g. for people with disabilities). I am an individual, and I work with
other individuals, we are not incorporated (that would be foolish because
of the risk, but, anyway). We are using open source software, and free
software, or any technology available as open source (not just software),
for car controls (engine, security, ...) and entertainment. People buy the
cars and drive them, thanks to our special technology. The fact is that
they are users of the software, distributed with the car. Anyone, including
a company or a state, can buy and use the car. And that matters: in this
very example, it would mean that a group of people gathered in a not for
profit organisation could own cars and provide them to people in need
(renting, time sharing, ...).

Then, let say I add some software released with a leftcopy license that
includes restrictions on corporations and other organisations. The
firmwares is updated on all cars to the benefits of all users. If my
understanding is good, it would mean that organisations can't anymore own
and use the cars, and their employees or beneficiaries will not be able to
drive them anymore. Only individuals owners can still own and drive their
cars.

Then, let's go to the next step. Imagine an individual stealing one of the
cars, and then use it to rob a bank. How are restrictions in a "don't do
evil" license managing that bad behavior? Is it allowed anyway, because
this is done by an individual, or will you add a clause against it? And,
does the vilain really care about it anyway? Who would you sew because the
terms of the license were not respected? The vilain? The car owner? Or,
eventually, me, the car manufacturer, as the distributor of the software,
because I was not able to ensure that the license will be respected?

That's also a question about third party providers:
- To own and drive a car you must pay an insurance company, but is this
allowed by the license?
- You must go to the mechanic (most often, a company) from time to time,
and they will at least drive the car in their workshop, or test it on
roads, so they will have to use the software even if it's not allowed to
them.

And what is happening if me and my associates want to incorporate?

This is actually not viable to make a difference between individuals and
organisations, or discrimination in genaral between different kind of
users: because this is not taking in account the real life. And it's not
just about cars... The risk to use software with this kind of restriction
is then too high for any one taking care about legal compliance, including
individuals. And that's also the purpose of FSF and OSI approved licenses:
to allow any kind of user to use the technology. When you think about it,
RMS was not an individual when he had his printer firmware issue, he was
working for MIT.

My point is that it's not just about who can use the technology to build or
develop something. It's also about the very end users, and all kinds of
users.

(please, do not hesitate to correct me if I am misunderstanding something
of if this example is not appropriate)

Antoine

[image: PrestaShop]
<https://www.prestashop.com/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=e-mail&utm_campaign=emails-signatures>