[License-discuss] OSI definition

Johnny A. Solbu johnny at solbu.net
Mon Feb 1 04:00:15 UTC 2021

On Tuesday 26 January 2021 17:07, Mat K. Witts wrote:
> > Yes, on its own. It's a group.
>
> Show me the group then. What/who does it contain that is not either an
> officer, shareholder, subsidiary company, customer, client or
> representative officer. When you strike out a company, nobody ceases to
> exist, it's just the legal entity. That ought to tell you all you need
> to know about what a corporation is.
>
> > You intend to discriminate
>
> Not against any human beings, which is what that section must surely be
> all about. There is ZERO discrimination against anyone.

The various FSF and OSI licenses deliberately avoid separating corporations/companies from actuall people.
Corporations/Companies are treated as any other user and have all the same freedoms and restrictions as a real human being has.

> > We don't WANT to discriminate, even against "bad" people.
>
> ...and how's that working out?

You are missing the point.

If any govermnent or company manages to completely kill off the entire human race by using Free Software, they are free to do so as far as the various Free software licence texts is concerned.

There is no way any Free and Open Source licence terms can be used to even attempt to stop or restrict a government or any company from using our software for «evil purposes», and this is /not/ an oversight.

--
Johnny A. Solbu
web site,   https://www.solbu.net