[License-discuss] Thoughts on the subject of ethical licenses

Gil Yehuda gyehuda at verizonmedia.com
Wed Mar 11 23:33:53 UTC 2020

Josh, Rick,
you both make very good points. I'll reinforce: I do not know other
people's motivations. My observations (also informed by participating on
the ethical source working group channels) is that there is a distance in
terms of shared objectives. That suggests faith in different outcomes, but
not bad faith. I don't think there's bad faith here (I'm sorry if anyone
thought I suggested that), but I am disappointed in the way in which the
conversation is going (both on this list and on their discussions). I
suggested to members of the Ethical Source working group ways in which they
could engage that would bring the conversation goals closer. I shared a
number of examples of messages that come across in ways that at least I
thought were unnecessarily provocative and explored if there was interest
in reconsidering the approach that signaled a shared goal and
understanding.

My current feeling is disappointment in the conversation and I'm less
enthusiastic about seeing this play out. Largely because I think they are
looking to achieve a different goal. They may be relieved that I'll ask
fewer questions and make fewer suggestions, too.

You are right, OSD is not immutable. But this is the license-discuss list,
not the OSD-discuss list, nor the ESD-discuss list. Maybe that's too fine a
point, and I'm sure (and hope) other people on this list are less
interested in discussing if I was sufficiently articulate and measured in
my words. Sorry to distract from the conversation.

Gil Yehuda: I help with external technology engagement