[License-discuss] The political / technical dichotomy

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Wed Mar 20 20:38:41 UTC 2019

On 3/20/2019 3:32 PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
> I have a different concern that goes to the political nature of
> license proposals. If the submitter is responsible for maintaining the
> PEP document, how can bias be avoided or minimized in the content of
> the document? Even if one relies on a non-submitter volunteer somehow,
> in many cases third-party observers are far from neutral.
>
> (I happen to trust *VanL* to do a good job of hypothetically
> maintaining a PEP document for CAL, but that's because I've seen over
> the years that VanL is unusually receptive to acknowledging and
> considering alternate points of view. :)
I was thinking that the public nature of the document would keep the
recordkeeper honest. (Although I suppose that then spawns a second
generation dispute about whether the document is accurate.) But the
person with primary responsibility for its currency and completeness
doesn't have to have final authority on its accuracy. That lesser burden
could reside in a volunteer third party or board member.

Mostly I was just trying to figure out how to avoid putting more work on
volunteers.

Pam

Pamela S. Chestek
Chestek Legal