[License-discuss] Fwd: discussion of L-R process [was Re: [License-review] Approval: Server Side Public License, Version 2 (SSPL v2)]

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Tue Mar 19 13:29:16 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 4:32 AM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> What I didn't go on to say at the time (as it was out of scope for that
> topic), but am glad to say now, is that certainly mailing lists (and
> newsgroups) have damning deficiencies for organising and tracking issues.
> They're also pretty dreadful as a way to capture knowledge -- for all
> the reasons you mention, Luis, among others.
>
> The usual remedy, in my experience, is to combine that or some
> alternative discussion medium (e.g., a Web forum) with a different tool
> that is more suited to task.  That could be something as simple as wiki
> pages maintained by a limited group of people.

None of these are bad ideas! But doing that, especially in a timely manner
that encourages, rather than discourages, participation, needs volunteers.
But this list has had no steady new contributors in ages, and even many
dedicated long-term contributors (including both current publicly listed
moderators!) have decided that there are more important ways to contribute
to the movement. So I did not want to suggest anything that required
substantial ongoing time commitments. If OSI can pull skilled
moderator/"editor"/community manager volunteer time out of the hat, instead
or as well as with a tool switch, great.

Luis