[License-discuss] OSI is not a trade association

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Jul 3 23:17:08 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 3:43 PM Christine Hall <christine at fossforce.com>
wrote:

> It's vendors/developers seeking enterprise customers who want to continue
> calling their software open source, but be able to use non open source
> restrictions because their business plan doesn't work.

That's correct. And one point I make very clear in my work at OSS Capital:
If all of the Open Source businesses went away tomorrow, Open Source would
be just fine. And it doesn't work the other way around. We didn't ever
promise their business plans would work, and it's not our job to make them
work.

I series-edited 24 books under Open Publication licenses a while back. 23
made a satisfactory income for Prentice Hall. It wouldn't work today,
because of e-readers. Consequences change, and Open Source business plans
might not sustain you.

    Thanks

    Bruce