[License-discuss] OPEN Government Data Act signed into law in US

Sander van der Waal sander.vanderwaal at okfn.org
Thu Jan 17 09:10:27 UTC 2019

*On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 16:34, Gil Yehuda via License-discuss
<license-discuss at lists.opensource.org
<license-discuss at lists.opensource.org>> wrote:*

> Sean,
>
> In trying to parse the legal definition in the sections you mentioned I
> poked around to see if there is a data equivalent to the OSD (
> https://opensource.org/osd-annotated) or FSF's four freedoms to determine
> if the legal text matches it. I came across a few things that seemed to fit
> the bill, such as http://opendefinition.org/od/2.1/en/

Thanks Gil - the Open Definition <http://opendefinition.org/> was initiated
by Open Knowledge International (my employer, aka its previous name Open
Knowledge Foundation or @OKFN <https://twitter.com/okfn>). For those
interested, I'd like to provide more context about the (government) open
data landscape from my perspective and how it aligns with the OSD.

TL;DR: In the open data space we try to learn from OSD best practices and
modeled an approach based on the OSI.

The Open Definition was very much inspired by the OSD and aims to define
openness wrt data and content. At Open Knowledge International we also
helped steward open data licenses under Open Data Commons
<https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/index.html> though they are currently
not actively maintained. The biggest user of these is OpenStreetMap, which
is licensed <https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence> under the ODbL v1
<https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/index.html>.

The suite of licenses from Creative Commons
<https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/licensing-types-examples/>  is
commonly used as well for data - though according to the Open Definition
those with Non-Commercial or Non-Derivative clauses are not deemed 'Open' -
very much in line with OSD I think - but would love to hear other people's
thoughts on this.

There was a bit of discussion
<https://discuss.okfn.org/t/maintenance-and-future-of-the-open-data-commons-licences/4460/31>
about the future of Open Data Commons and to what extent Creative Commons
licenses v4 may supersede the need for tailored Open Data licenses.  The
jury is still out on that and feel free to join the discussion there.

Finally, there is a process <http://opendefinition.org/licenses/process/> where
licensors can submit their open data license to have checked whether it
meets the criteria of the Open Definition, and thereby can be called
'open'. Governments have a tendency to want to create their own licenses
and some used this process to ensure it's really open. In the Open
Government Data space we've not managed to convince govs to use the recommended
conformant licenses <http://opendefinition.org/licenses/> to the extent
hoped. We did a research project which shows the risk for legal
incompatibility between datasets published under different licenses,
potentially making reuse more difficult (see report announcement
<https://blog.okfn.org/2017/12/14/new-report-avoiding-data-use-silos-how-governments-can-simplify-the-open-licensing-landscape/>
).

Feel free to contact me if you'd like to follow up on any of this (off-list
or on-list: don't want to go too much off-topic!)

Sander

Sander van der Waal

Head of Programmes  |  @sandervdwaal <https://twitter.com/sandervdwaal>
|   +31615062051

Open Knowledge International <http://okfn.org/>

Empowering through Open Knowledge

http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>

content I assume is in https://cdla.io/ and imagine there may be content
> about this data.gov (which is down with the US government).

Is there a de facto definition for "open" data that is as generally