[License-discuss] FreeAndFair license

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Jun 14 18:26:52 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Brent Turner <turnerbrentm at gmail.com>
wrote:

I assume this is not relevant as I am only interested in public elections -
> which is where the corps I mentioned dwell--  and there would be no reason
> for government to be hostile to GPL .so under that reasoning again I can
> not figure out why they would be opting for license other than GPL

I can only speculate.  But looked at with a lawyerly eye that isn't used to
the wonderful world of free software licensing, the GPL looks *weird*.
Where's the consideration?  Where are the restrictive terms?  WHAT DO THEY
WANT?

Gummint lawyers can be just as fearful of what they don't understand as any
other lawyers.  Indeed, their clients probably have more to lose.

In my last lifetime, I believed in reincarnation;
in this lifetime, I don't.  --Thiagi