[License-discuss] FreeAndFair license

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Jun 14 18:44:04 UTC 2017

John Cowan wrote:

> (Nowadays this wouldn't be necessary, as there are drop-in replacements for readline, but the principle is still the same.)

All copyrighted software can have "drop-in replacements" if someone wants to build them. Only patents may prevent that, but that's not the topic here.

This drop-in alternative is valid even for the open source election software that Brent Turner is concerned about. If someone releases such software under a more restrictive license (such as the FreeAndFair or the OSET licenses), copyright law allows a BSD or GPL alternative to be dropped in (with engineering effort!) to replace it.

That's the value of all open source copyright licenses.

So, I still don't understand what role "principle" plays in BSD and GPL dual licensing?

/Larry