[License-discuss] Words that don't mean derivative work

Diane Peters diane at creativecommons.org
Wed Feb 3 13:49:23 UTC 2016

To the extent helpful, we at CC put a lot of thought into how to best
define the notion of what constitutes a derivative work ("Adapted Material"
in CC 4.0 vernacular) when we last versioned. We expressly tied it to
copyright law. If a downstream licensee uses the work in a manner that
implicates the licensor's exclusive right under copyright to create
derivative works, then the ShareAlike condition is triggered. Not otherwise.

*Adapted Material* means material subject to Copyright and Similar Rights
that is derived from or based upon the Licensed Material and in which the
Licensed Material is translated, altered, arranged, transformed, or
otherwise modified* in a manner requiring permission under the Copyright
and Similar Rights held by the Licensor* *[omitting additional clause re
synching]*

Diane

Diane M. Peters
General Counsel, Creative Commons