[License-discuss] Words that don't mean derivative work

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Feb 3 17:19:08 UTC 2016

Hi Diane, thanks very much for copying the words of the CC licenses. I agree with those words in your license except for the word "arranged." They DO mean "derivative work." In fact, those are almost the same words that I used in my own licenses to mean that difficult copyright term. As long as the following statement is in your definition, I'm happy:

and in which the Licensed Material is translated, altered, arranged, transformed, or otherwise modified in a manner requiring permission under the Copyright and Similar Rights held by the Licensor.

(My emphasis by underlining and deletion of the word "arranged".) I also believe the phrase I recommended earlier says almost the same thing in its intent: "software that is modified or expressly changed in its executable or source code form." It includes everything (except "arranged") that your license describes. But if you prefer your wording, great!

On the other hand, I repeat yet again because it is critical to understanding copyleft and copyright law, the words we frequently use on this list to mean derivative work – don't. They confuse. They lead to fear of litigation. They lead to fear of the GPL.

No other copyleft licenses but the GPL pursue those confusing definitions. MPL is fine. ECL is fine. GPL + the Classpath Exception is fine. My own licenses are clearly defined.

I've said this on this list more than enough times. It is now appropriate for others to defend their interpretations under copyright law, or change their license interpretations. Or probably they'll continue to do nothing about the confusion they cause.

/Larry