[License-discuss] Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Thu May 21 16:52:06 UTC 2015

To be fair, the responses that I have seen involving Apache involved
independent analyses that came to the same conclusion that I did, and
did not reference my comment.  Furthermore my email there bounced
(which is why I just took them off the CC list), so they probably did
not see it.

Now on to the OSD.  The OSD was unfortunately not written by a lawyer,
and can be parsed ambiguously in many ways.  So you often have to go
back to intent to figure out which way it should be parsed.

My understanding is that the original version of item #1 is that third
parties are not restricted from giving away or selling the software
without paying royalties or any fee.  The awkward wording around
aggregation was added so that
http://opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license-1.0 could be declared
open source despite section 5 which only allowed it to be sold as part
of an aggregation.  Furthermore there is no question that Bruce Perens
was aware of section 2 of http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html and
intended the GPL v2 to be open source.

Given that, here is how I read, "The license shall not restrict any
party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an
aggregate software distribution containing programs from several
different sources. The license shall not require a royalty or other
fee for such sale."

I read it as saying that when you distribute, you are free to charge
or not as you wish, and you owe no royalty or fee regardless of what
you choose.  However there is a distinction between "AN aggregate" and
"ANY aggregate".  Some aggregates are not allowed to be distributed.
Another similar hair to split is that the manner in which it is sold
can matter.  For example it is OK to sell it in a box, but is not
necessarily OK to put the name of the author of the software on said
box.  (A number of open source licenses have advertising
restrictions.)

That said, I completely agree that it is possible to parse that
section in a way that the *GPL v* family of licenses will fail.  But
this is not the only way in with the OSD fails to be a legal document.