[License-discuss] Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy

Ralph Goers ralph.goers at dslextreme.com
Wed May 20 21:25:25 UTC 2015

Larry,  you are welcome.  However, the other link you forwarded [1] has a section named "Can I write proprietary code that links to a shared library that's open source?”.  It basically answers the very question you are asking - namely, that there are cases where you cannot take code written under the Apache License, combine it with code licensed under the GPL (regardless of whether the code is explicitly included or only dynamically linked via a Java JAR file) and then distribute that under a proprietary license. Furthermore, links such as this [2] by the FSF explicitly call out what their position is on how works are combined even when using dynamic linking - once bound together the whole aggregation needs to abide by the terms of the license, not just the included work.

To me, the fundamental purpose of the Apache license is to allow anyone to do whatever they want with the software, including modifying it and including it in their proprietary product with no requirements to do so.  If an Apache project were to directly or indirectly require software that uses a license that requires anyone to meet certain requirements in order to create and distribute their software under whatever license they choose that project would not be meeting the goals of the ASF.

Ralph

[1] - http://opensource.org/faq#linking-proprietary-code <http://opensource.org/faq#linking-proprietary-code>
[2] - http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.html <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.html>