[License-discuss] Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu May 21 15:51:01 UTC 2015

Ben Tilly quoted OSD #1 [Free Redistribution]
"The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a royalty or other fee for such sale."

He then added this: "But not all aggregations are created equal." And now some at Apache are treating Ben Tilly's added statement as important for analysis of aggregations containing FOSS software.

How do "unequal aggregations" affect OSD #1?

I'm expressly NOT speaking of derivative works.! I used the word "aggregation" on purpose.

/Larry