[License-discuss] web forums for license-* [was Re: proposal for revising code of conduct]

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Mon Feb 11 20:52:50 UTC 2013

Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> writes:
>On 01/05/2013 09:42 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>> I've personally never seen open source forum software that wasn't an
>> abysmal nightmare from a usability perspective, whereas many people
>> here have email clients that they have chosen and customized
>> specifically to deal with their workflow. So I'm very reluctant to
>> make anyone less productive here by forcing them to use bad software.
>
>I haven't tried it for a serious project yet, but Discourse is new open
>source discussion software and seems quite promising.  It's by some of
>the people behind Stack Overflow.
>
>It's under GPLv2 (http://www.discourse.org/faq/).
>
>See http://www.discourse.org/ and http://discourse.org/
>
>It is still in beta.

I tried it out, and while it looks promising, it certainly wasn't "ready
for prime time" as of a few days ago.

Although their web site and FAQ do not seem to say so explicitly, the
code so far indicates that they regard email (incoming and outgoing) as
just another way of accessing the forum conversations.  If so, that
would be great!  http://www.rants.org/2008/03/06/thread_theory/ has my
thoughts on why.

But even if that's what they intend, I still don't know how ready the
email functionality actually is, of course.

-K