[License-discuss] web forums for license-* [was Re: proposal for revising code of conduct]

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Tue Feb 12 19:13:21 UTC 2013

[moving to infrastructure@, with license-discuss@ on BCC now]

Brian Behlendorf <brian at behlendorf.com> writes:
>On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Karl Fogel wrote:
>> Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> writes:
>>> See http://www.discourse.org/ and http://discourse.org/
>>>
>>> It is still in beta.
>>
>> I tried it out, and while it looks promising, it certainly wasn't "ready
>> for prime time" as of a few days ago.
>>
>> Although their web site and FAQ do not seem to say so explicitly, the
>> code so far indicates that they regard email (incoming and outgoing) as
>> just another way of accessing the forum conversations.  If so, that
>> would be great!  http://www.rants.org/2008/03/06/thread_theory/ has my
>> thoughts on why.
>
>Has anyone tried Groupserver?
>
>http://groupserver.org/
>
>It's been on my check-it-out list since forever.  It's mature and
>still actively being developed & supported, and GPL-licensed.

Yes -- I looked at it a while ago, and have been meaning to again.  My
personal short list for solutions so far is:

  GroupServer
  Sympa
  Discourse (the new thing)

The first two are in production use.  I've heard mixed reviews of both.
I tried to set up a Sympa instance once, a couple of years ago, and had
to give up after spending too many hours.  Things might be better now
(or maybe it would have been fine if I'd been willing to make a long
enough initial investment in setting it up).

I don't know of anything else out there that really does the trick and
is open source.  Mailman 3 looked promising, but it has looked promising
since roughly the Crimean War and it's still in development :-).

-K