Machine-readable licenses?

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Mon Sep 27 11:05:46 UTC 2010

On 22/09/10 09:28, Andrea Chiarelli wrote:
> license. This can be done putting an identifier of a license from a list
> of common licenses

That sounds like "a machine-readable language describing open source
software licences" to me. But perhaps I misunderstood your question.

Are you looking to take each possible legal provision and encode it in
some machine-readable form?

E.g.

BSD = ALL_RIGHTS_RESERVED + FREE + RETAIN_NOTICES_IN_SOURCE +
RETAIN_NOTICES_IN_DOCS + NO_ENDORSEMENT + NO_WARRANTY?

If so, I don't think you will succeed. If it were possible to make legal
documents that simple, they'd be that simple :-)

Gerv