Appropriate licenses for web libraries

Pimm Hogeling pimmhogeling at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 23:27:47 UTC 2010

Thanks for the responses.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 16:34, Chris Travers <chris at metatrontech.com> wrote:

> In that case why not add a clause that clarifies that such is not
> necessary if distributing content as part of a web page or similar
> format where accompanying documentation is typically not provided?

I consider this an option. But if there is already a license out there that
fits our needs, I would prefer using that license over a custom one.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 23:29, David Woolley <forums at david-woolley.me.uk>wrote:

> Given how intellectual property oriented Adobe is, I find it difficult to
> believe that there is not a mechanism to embed copyright meta-data in SWF.

There are ways to do that. You are correct. However, I still think it is
undesirable to obligate licensees to do that.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 23:29, David Woolley <forums at david-woolley.me.uk>wrote:

> Javascript (did you mean ECMAScript?) has no compiled form.

Correct, which is why I consider JavaScript files both in binary and source
form.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 23:29, David Woolley <forums at david-woolley.me.uk>wrote:

> Without a copyright notice, the libertarian users will assume it is public
> domain and the more cautious won't touch it.  Without a licence, it may be
> unsafe to use in Europe, as far as anyone who is afraid of being sued is
> concerned (there is no default right to execute a program).  Without a
> warranty restriction, you are vulnerable to demands for fixes and
> consequential loss.

I'm not looking for a license license that tells the developers using the
libraries they mustn't put copyright notices or disclaimers somewhere. I am
looking for one that does not obligate them to put the copyright notices and
disclaimer of the libraries in. But I might be misinterpreting your input.
My idea is that the libraries themselves will come with license files or
blocks that contain the copyright notice and the disclaimer, but the license
does not obligate licensees to copy that notice and disclaimer. Would that
still leave the developers of the libraries vulnerable to such demands?