Appropriate licenses for web libraries

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Mar 9 22:29:43 UTC 2010

Pimm Hogeling wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> we're currently looking for a new license for some libraries. Here is
> the situation:
>
> We use a language called haXe. The official compiler can compile the
> haXe code to different targets including SWF files (binaries that run in

Given how intellectual property oriented Adobe is, I find it difficult
to believe that there is not a mechanism to embed copyright meta-data in
SWF.

> Flash Player), JavaScript files (which are both binaries and source
> files) and CPP/C++ files (which are obviously source files). The

Javascript (did you mean ECMAScript?) has no compiled form.

> compiler comes bundled with some core libraries, which (at least
>
> The community has decided that it wants to relicense the libraries under
> a license that does not obligate a licensee to accompany binaries by the
> license, a copyright notice or a disclaimer. Is that possible? Is there
> a license that does this?

Without a copyright notice, the libertarian users will assume it is
public domain and the more cautious won't touch it.  Without a licence,
it may be unsafe to use in Europe, as far as anyone who is afraid of
being sued is concerned (there is no default right to execute a
program).  Without a warranty restriction, you are vulnerable to demands
for fixes and consequential loss.

--
David Woolley