Apache style issue

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Aug 19 12:42:45 UTC 2009

DShofi at atmi.com writes:
> "Dag-Erling Smørgrav" <des at des.no> writes:
> > No, the Apache license is significantly more restrictive than the
> > BSD and MIT licenses.
> Characterization of the levels of restrictions is always dangerous.
> Rather, one should read the license and understand the obligations set
> forth on a recipient/redistributor.

I'm sorry, but it is an undeniable fact that the Apache license imposes
restrictions that neither the BSD nor MIT licenses do, but *not* vice
versa; hence, the Apache license is more restrictive - or to put it
another way, the set of permissions granted by the Apache license is a
strict subset of the set of permissions granted by the BSD or MIT
license.

(by "BSD license", I mean "(New|Simplified) BSD license")

BTW, parts of the Apache license are actually not license grants or
conditions, but terms of service for the Apache mailing lists, bug
repository etc.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no