Apache style issue

DShofi at atmi.com DShofi at atmi.com
Wed Aug 19 12:08:12 UTC 2009

DES writes:

> No, the Apache license is significantly more restrictive than the BSD
> and MIT licenses.

Characterization of the levels of restrictions is always dangerous.
Rather, one should read the license and understand the obligations set
forth on a recipient/redistributor.  There have been several documents
written (including my own) that attempt to categorize licenses but there
are always even slight differences between those in the same category.
Nothing substitutes for reading and understanding the license language.

David

Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no>
08/19/2009 06:04 AM

John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
cc
Banzi Massimo <massimo.banzi at telecomitalia.it>,
"license-discuss\@opensource.org" <license-discuss at opensource.org>
Subject
Re: Apache style  issue

John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> writes:
> Informally, an Apache-style license is one that allows reuse of the code
> covered by it in other programs with few restrictions.  "BSD-style" and
> "MIT-style" mean about the same; a more formal term is "permissive".

No, the Apache license is significantly more restrictive than the BSD
and MIT licenses.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no

This email message may contain information that is confidential and/or
privileged and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named
above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or
the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify sender immediately and destroy the
original message.  Thank you.