non-military use license

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Thu Jan 11 18:38:44 UTC 2007

Out of curiosity what if someone were to phrase a license that it the
software could not be
used to "physically cause harm or injury to others" rather than
expressly prohibiting military use.  This might mean that it gets some
military use but probably would achieve much of what the authors
intend.  I understand the key concern (although I don't share the same
general political philosophy), and the OSI concerns, but it seems like
there ought to be some middle ground that allows a non-discriminatory
usage clause.   Broadly speaking "not harming or injuring others" seems
like the kind of usage restriction that might be allowable...

Granted I agree if the idea is out there and its that good then the
reimplementation is a trivial matter for a motivated large organization.

-Andy

--
No PST Files Ever Again
Buni Meldware Communication Suite