non-military use license

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Jan 11 16:43:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 12:32:03AM +0800, gilemon wrote:

> That’s the reason why I’d like to discuss the option on using a license that
> could protect the source code from being used by the military industry.

Depending on how it's phrased, that would be a breach of either clause 5
or 6 of the open source definition. While some people may have moral
qualms about the military using their work, other people may have qualms
about homosexuals, scientists, people of a specific ethnicity and so on
using their work. Rather than get into a debate over which groups of
people can be discriminated against, we just forbid all discrimination.

Practically speaking, bear in mind that most military groups probably
have sufficient resources to "borrow" your ideas and reimplement your
work regardless of what license you put it under.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org