[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Dec 10 06:29:30 UTC 2006

Brian Behlendorf scripsit:

> I think the fundamental question for this list is whether badgeware is
> copacetic to Open Source.  My intuition is that giving credit to authors
> is cheap for the value it provides, even if we're talking about screen
> real estate or headers added to network protocols, and if it ever gets
> expensive or unreasonable then that'll natually lead people to seek and
> develop alternatives.  The idea of badgeware doesn't appear to be
> opposed to forking or other essential freedoms.  So long as the author
> of a derivative work has the right to add their own badge in some way,
> and so long as badges don't have to be propagated to aggregate works
> (e.g., Fedora doesn't have to add a SugarCRM logo to the whole Fedora
> package collection just because a SugarCRM RPM is contained within), it
> seems like a fair balance.  But it is a departure from what's accepted
> today, and I like the drive towards a generic provision that could be
> added to any license.

The trouble is that if you pull a chunk of code (more than a snippet,
less than the whole thing) out of a badgeware GUI/web program and
incorporate it into a program that doesn't have a graphical UI,
what then?  I find a nifty implementation of some algorithm or
other, I add it to my command-line program, how and where do I
display the badge?

--
John Cowan   <cowan at ccil.org>   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big