[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 16:31:06 UTC 2006

On 12/9/06, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf scripsit:
[...]
> The trouble is that if you pull a chunk of code (more than a snippet,
> less than the whole thing) out of a badgeware GUI/web program and
> incorporate it into a program that doesn't have a graphical UI,
> what then?  I find a nifty implementation of some algorithm or
> other, I add it to my command-line program, how and where do I
> display the badge?

Slightly more generously, suppose that I add a small chunk of code
from a badgeware program into an existing GUI/web program.  To do that
do I have to go through *every* screen to add the badge even though it
is only used in one place?  If so, that's a pretty big disincentive
for using that code.  A big enough one that in practice I'm going to
choose not to do it.

Cheers,
Ben