[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Sun Dec 10 00:18:06 UTC 2006

I think the fundamental question for this list is whether badgeware is
copacetic to Open Source.  My intuition is that giving credit to authors
is cheap for the value it provides, even if we're talking about screen
real estate or headers added to network protocols, and if it ever gets
expensive or unreasonable then that'll natually lead people to seek and
develop alternatives.  The idea of badgeware doesn't appear to be opposed
to forking or other essential freedoms.  So long as the author of a
derivative work has the right to add their own badge in some way, and so
long as badges don't have to be propagated to aggregate works (e.g.,
Fedora doesn't have to add a SugarCRM logo to the whole Fedora package
collection just because a SugarCRM RPM is contained within), it seems like
a fair balance.  But it is a departure from what's accepted today, and I
like the drive towards a generic provision that could be added to any
license.

 	Brian