YAPL is bad (was: Re: Backlog assistance?)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 26 17:32:08 UTC 2001

begin Steve Lhomme quotation:

> Here is my practical case for your pragmatic minds : I'm working (not
> alone) on a derivation of the QPL license in order to make it GPL
> compatible (and also a few minor changes).

Splendid.  We will await with interest the cessation of rhetoric and
submission of licence terms to scrutinise.

> Maybe for you it's not a big change, but for me it IS. As it's "overly
> duplicate existing licenses" it would probably not qualify for the OSD
> to check it...

Judge for yourself.  The process is outlined here:
http://www.opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.html#approval

> But is the OSD here to decide for the developpers what are the license
> that "deserve" to be compliant ?

Another polemical rhetorical question for my collection.  You're really
much too kind.

> Do you think that's fair to newcomers ? Do you think that encourage
> the growth of the Open-Source community ? Do you think it makes
> evolution possible (AFAIK evolution is different from revolution
> because it's made of small changes here and there) ?

Really, I must decline this embarrassment of riches.  My closet is
overflowing.  But thank you.

> BTW Rick, was that an invitation to leave this list (my english is
> average) ?

Negatory, sir.

> Why didn't you answer my concern (which IMHO makes sense) instead ?

Consider the proposition that I'm simply a cruel and heartless bastard.
That might account for it.  Or possibly not.

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window