YAPL is bad (was: Re: Backlog assistance?)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 25 22:36:31 UTC 2001

on Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 11:08:59PM +0200, Steve Lhomme (steve.lhomme at free.fr) wrote:
> | Poster:  Licences need to be approved more rapidly to introduce
> |          improvements!
> | Others:  What specific examples of improvements are you thinking of?
> | Poster:  Well, never mind that.  OSI _committed_ to approving licences.
> | Others:  Why are you in such a flippin' hurry to get lots more licences
> |          for their own sake?  Aren't you aware of the licence
> |          combinatorial
> |          problem for derivative works?  Aren't you aware of the problem
> |          of corporations misreading the OSD as an invitations to write
> |          a new licence for no better reason than to have their own.
> | Poster:  Well, never mind that.  Licences need to be approved more
> |          rapidly to introduce improvements!
> |
> | One could write a quite simple, yet obnoxious, script to simulate
> | this behaviour.
>
> Once again, as I wrote :
>
> "Is the OSI there to judge what a license is worth ? If so they should
> divide the OSI in 2 parts : the neutral/approval part, and the
> political/judging part... I think most people need the 1st part to
> work or use."

The OSI should allocate its resources wisely.  As such, it should ensure
that:

  - Newly proposed licenses aren't proposed lightly.
  - Newly proposed licenses don't overly duplicate existing licenses.
  - Newly proposed licenses topcally meet the OSD requirements for
    deeper consideration.

This does call for a acertain discriminating role in judging
applications.

I believe Rick has stated the situation clearly:  you have not
demonstrated your case, and appear to have no practical concerns.  I'd
suggest you mediate silently until the situation has changed.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org