YAPL is bad (was: Re: Backlog assistance?)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 26 17:23:10 UTC 2001

begin Karsten M. Self quotation:

>   - Apple's Darwin project is under the APSL, which remains quite
>     controversial.

Well, it is and it isn't.  I examined this in at least a little bit of
detail when Evan Liebovitch was castigating Apple for allegedly leeching
(I paraphrase) off the BSDs.

Darwin's "xnu" kernel is APSL-licensed -- in part.  (Don't forget
there's code from CMU and BSD code, there.)

Darwin Streaming Server is APSL.  Code for the Common Data Security
Architecture, and for the OpenPlay and NetSprocket abstraction layers
is APSL, as is a small developer tool called HeaderDoc.  But just about
all the other code in Darwin is under the same mix of sundry open-source
licences found in, say, NetBSD.

And, as I said to Evan at the time -- contrary to his assertion --
Apple's consistent policy as far as I can tell has always been to
contribute changes to the upstream maintainers of those codebases under
the upstream licences.

(Darwin should not be confused with MacOS X, which is a superset of
Darwin adding several proprietary pieces.)

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window