Plan 9 license

Richard Stallman rms at santafe.edu
Sun Sep 3 04:54:46 UTC 2000

    Yes, I agree with RMS here. We should not call it piracy but
    slavery. Unauthorized copying of intellectual capital/property
    means denying the freedom of the IP holder.

No, it means denying the power of the copyright owner.  Control over
your own actions is freedom.  Control over the actions of others is
power.

If you don't make this distinction, you will have no compass for
thinking about such issues.  For instance, I would say that people who
copied samizdat in the Soviet Union were denying the power of the
Soviet rulers.  But you would say they were denything the rulers'
freedom.  So you would see no basis to take sides between them and the
rulers.

Using the term "intellectual property" in your thinking is also
disregarding important distinctions, between patents, copyrights,
trademarks and trade secrets.  These are almost entirely different, so
trying to talk about all of them at once generally leads to mistaken
generalizations.  See
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html for more
explanation.