Plan 9 license

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Fri Sep 1 13:37:37 UTC 2000

I agree that the term "piracy" has taken on an inappropriate connotation
when copyright owners use the term as if it meant theft. To be fair to Eric
Raymond, it looks as if his use of the term was not along this line.
Instead, he was, apparently, responding to the plaintiff's inaccurate
characterization that the open source movement supports copyright
infringement. In this respect, his use of the term makes sense and is
correct. (Merriam Webster's Dictionary:  piracy - "the unauthorized use of
another's production, invention, or conception esp. in infringement of a
copyright")

Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University Law School - Camden