Basics of Evangelism

Brian DeSpain brian at xao.com
Sat Aug 28 03:14:51 UTC 1999

Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> Find common ground.  Cast your argument in terms acceptable to the
> audience.  Only with such a beginning can you, eventually, persuade.

I have also found that focusing on business problem solutions is a great
way to go. Ask them about internal processes. What exactly is the problem
they have and how your solution solves it. After demonstrating how your
solutions solves your problem I often tell them,"And of course you get
all the source code so that you can hire a programmer to make changes if
we would ever go out of business." Quite a few times their eyes light up
at that point they say,"That's a great idea. That way we aren't dependent
on a single vendor." They have just taken the first step to understanding
open source.

--

Brian DeSpain

http://www.bravenewworlds.com