Basics of Evangelism

Chip Salzenberg chip at perlsupport.com
Sat Aug 28 02:50:43 UTC 1999

According to Eric S. Raymond:
> Ean R . Schuessler <ean at novare.net>:
> > So we should recast our movement in their selfish minded terms?
>
> Now you're getting it, maybe.  Yes, we should.

It's a basic rule of evangelism that you must start with common
ground.  Consider Paul's discourse to the Athenians.  Both as a Jew
and as a Christian, Paul would have found the thousands of images in
Athens disgusting.  Yet he began thus (quote from memory, hence
inexact):

   "I perceive that you are more given to the fear of the deities than
   others are.  For example, while passing along and observing your
   objects of veneration, I found an inscription: 'To An Unknown God.'
   It is this God that I am publishing to you today."

Find common ground.  Cast your argument in terms acceptable to the
audience.  Only with such a beginning can you, eventually, persuade.
--
Chip Salzenberg      - a.k.a. -      <chip at perlsupport.com>
      "When do you work?"   "Whenever I'm not busy."