[beyond-licensing] Principles and practices

Patrick Masson masson at opensource.org
Wed Jun 15 17:56:42 UTC 2016

All,

As part of my graduate work (Eeech 10+ years ago), I tried to develop a
framework, sort of a "maturity model," to assess the "openness" of
projects, see: https://wiki.jasig.org/display/2398/Openness+Index

It was based on (what I thought of as) *causal* relationships: attributes
(i.e. values, principles & practices) which fostered, or implied the
presence of, other qualities. This would, I believed, provide potential
participants to assess the "maturity" of an open source project.

I'm wondering if some part of this, might be in line with what the Beyond
Licensing group is working toward? Of course this is not complete, and
would benefit from further critique and contribution, but if it is going to
distract folks, I wouldn't want to pursue it.

As an example, the following principles would be observed within a
community of practice that supports an open source project, and arguably
are only authentic if the previous levels (i.e. principles) are achieved.
The lower levels, may be necessary, necessary but not sufficient, necessary
and sufficient, etc.

   - Level 1: "Communication"
   Communication is a necessary condition, but not sufficient to enable
   transparency.
   - Level 2: "Transparency"
   Transparency is a contributing cause in self-organizing groups.
   - Level 3: "Self-organizing" (Self-organizing, self-organized &
   self-directed)
   Self-organization is a sufficient cause for collaboration.
   - Level 4. "Collaboration"
   Collaboration is a contributing cause in evidence-based decision-making.
   - Level 5. "Evidence-based Decision-Making"
   Evidence-based decision-making is a necessary cause for openness.
   - Level 6. "Openness"

Explanations
Communication: While some organizations may provide communication in
governance, this may be promotional, marketing or spin rather than actual
policies, processes and practices. Yet in order for transparency to exist
at all in governance, some form of communication must take place that
conveys information and exposes organizational artifacts.

Transparency: Access to information contributes to the development of
self-organizing groups. If an organization provides access to information,
individuals can find topics of interest and others who share those
interests. However, it is possible that groups could organize without
knowing organizational details.

Self organization: A group of at least two people is sufficient for
collaboration in governance. However collaboration can occur outside of
self-organizing groups, such as committees, departments, etc. who
collaborate as part of their jobs or who may have been appointed, rather
than based on an affinity for the topic.

Collaboration contributes to evidence-based decision-making but is not
necessary. Individuals can use evidence in governance.

I like this approach because it provides both the potential participant
with a framework for assessing where organizations are, and it also
provides organizations with a road map to help guide their organization's
development.

Also, importantly these attributes (principles and practices) can be
evidenced by referencing actual artifacts/activities from the organization
being reviewed. For example, "we are transparent because we publish our
minutes, have open board meetings, and have x number of public mailing
lists, etc. etc. etc.)

If folks think it's bonkers, I'm not offended.

Thanks,
Patrick

* Patrick Masson*
*General Manager & Director, Open Source Initiative*
855 El Camino Real, Ste 13A, #270
Palo Alto, CA 94301
United States
Office: (415) 857-5398