[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Mar 21 02:46:39 UTC 2020

On 3/20/20 7:35 PM, Tobie Langel wrote:

>     So I think the plain meaning, and the conventional understanding,
>     of OSD 5 & 6 is “you cannot put any restriction against any user,
>     or use, of the software, in an open source license”
>
> Remember that the argument I’m making here is precisely that if the
> OSI’s point of view matches the one you’re articulating here, the OSD
> needs tightening. The fact that you had to reference the four freedoms
> and and fsf blog post to argue your point really made mine. ;)

Can you share with us a reasonable (that is, not genocide) license
restriction which would restrict the use of Open Source Software by some
parties who would use it unethically and does not violate OSD #6?

If you cannot, then I think we should conclude that OSD #6 is not vague
and does not need tightening.