[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

McCoy Smith mccoy at lexpan.law
Fri Mar 20 23:40:37 UTC 2020

From: Tobie Langel <tobie at unlockopen.com>
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2020 4:35 PM
To: mccoy at lexpan.law
Cc: license-discuss at lists.opensource.org
Subject: Re: [License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Remember that the argument I’m making here is precisely that if the OSI’s point of view matches the one you’re articulating here, the OSD needs tightening. The fact that you had to reference the four freedoms and and fsf blog post to argue your point really made mine. ;)

Well, you know, there was a candidate for the recent OSI Board election who ran on this very platform: https://wiki.opensource.org/bin/Main/OSI+Board+of+Directors/Board+Member+Elections/2020+Individual+and+Affiliate+Elections/Smith2020

That candidate having come in 4th (or 5th, by some people’s math), I’m not sure that’s something there’s enough of a mandate to demand that it happen.