[License-discuss] "Fairness" vs. mission objectives

Ryan Birmingham rainventions at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 04:14:45 UTC 2020

There has been discussion (though in this case debian rather than OSI)
approval on the Vim License before; see
https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/01/msg00010.html .
As a summary, the vim license still asks for those who make changes provide
them to the maintainer.
Members of this mailing list mentioned the "desert island test" that this
breaks, and more importantly for OSI, mentioned that this may be a OSD
section 6 violation since it may bar applications which require secrecy.
Though, I'm not a lawyer, and it's quite possible I've misinterpreted the
implications of that part of the vim license.

-Ryan Birmingham